The REA’s Energy Storage Forum represents all energy storage technologies at all scales, and is the largest group of its kind in the UK. With over 200 active members, the group represents manufacturers, project developers, operators, and financiers operating in technologies including Li-ion, flow, and heat batteries, cryogenic and gravity-based systems, pumped hydro, and compressed air.
REA sees energy storage as the missing piece to energy policy in the UK, as it can balance supplies and demand to help deliver the low carbon energy when needed. The Energy Storage Forum’s goal is ensure energy storage is incentivised and supported appropriately.
The Forum works closely with Government officials and Ofgem on regulatory and policy areas spanning incentives, planning, building regulations and taxation. It also develops technical and training standards, where it can rely on the support of other REA forums working on issues such as decentralised energy and grid connection.
A crucial document for this sector, which included the majority of REA asks at the time, is the joint BEIS & Ofgem , which is a road map for policy reform which will develop the sector.
千亿体育登录Key work areas for the group include:
- Development of flexibility markets
- Capacity Market reform
- Implementation of the Smart Systems and Flexibility Plan, including introduction of a definition of energy storage in primary legislation
- Building regulations & SAP/EPC reform
- Grid charging and connections, including responding to Ofgem’s Targeted Charging & Access and Forward Looking Charges Reviews
- Planning, including queuing processes
- Health & safety
- Best practice
- Co-location with generation assets
Governance of the Energy Storage Forum
- CHAIR: Vijay Shinde, Chief Technical Officer at Harmony Energy
Steering Group members include:
- Alistair Steele, Senior Consultant – Energy Storage at DNV GL
- Louise Dalton, Senior Associate at CMS
- Richard Malloy, Manager – UK Energy Storage at Eaton
- Fernando Morales, Lead Analyst at Highview Power
- Michelle Davies, Partner and International Head of Clean Energy and Sustainability at Eversheds Sutherland LLP
- Marcelo Torres, Regulatory Manager – Markets at Drax
For further information, contact Frank Gordon千亿体育登录 at the REA.
NEWS & PRESS RELEASES — Jul 14, 2020
REA comment on changes to planning framework for energy storage
NEWS & PRESS RELEASES — Jul 08, 2020
REA comments on Summer Economic Update
NEWS & PRESS RELEASES — Jul 07, 2020
REA comments on latest Covid Recovery funding
MEMBERS ONLY Sep 22, 2020
MEMBERS ONLY Sep 03, 2020
EV Roaming Committee Members Forum
MEMBERS ONLY Aug 26, 2020
Webinar for Longer-duration Energy Storage Working Group
Sep 14, 2020
千亿体育登录Sep 11, 2020
千亿体育登录Sep 7, 2020
Final Transport Decarbonisation Plan Response